Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Of Tong Wars and Dragon Ladies...



A 'Must-See' documentary about 'Hollywood Chinese'.
Well, I must see it, anyway.

Though it won't be showing in this neck o' da woods.

'Round here, Kung-fu fightin' films are the more popular ones from the Asian film genre, since those movies help to perpetuate the comfort of The Myth. In my observations of the local populace, it is still not widely accepted that Chinese have much to offer of their culture beyond Chinese Food, Confucius Sayings (in fortune cookies, yet) and martial arts. Like who cares, right?

Nor did the Chinese have much of an historical presence in this region. Yet they did. Perhaps not in large numbers (exclusion acts of government legislation managed that), but very significantly.
No brag, just fact*.

So, no.
'Hollywood Chinese', in all probability, won't be a draw at the local box offices.
In time, ignorance and racial/cultural stereotypes may be dispelled. Education is key. This new documentary should/could be an eye opener. Yet, one has to wonder - who'all is going to be seeking it out to view, anyway - but those already in the know?

Ah well?

With little doubt, it will necessitate my traveling quite further afield from where I reside - for a screening of 'Hollywood Chinese'. Failing a lengthy 'Summer Blockbuster' (yeah, right) run, it'll be out on DVD soon enough. I'll probably end up owning it, and forcing copies upon my DollinkDaughters/DollinkGranddaughter, even.

* The other bit of irony I love to entertain is Leland Stanford doing triple rolls in his grave over the fact that so many of Chinese heritage have attended Stanford University. HeeHee.

(many thanks to my DollinkFriendJ for sending
me this link to director Arthur Dong)

2 comments:

Liz said...

okay, I will try this again. Now I have that silly song going through my head from the 70's, "Kung Fu Fighting". Also remember, those closed minded folks also believe the only food us Spanish American's eat are Taco's and Enchilidas. They don't realize their is a difference between the "Spanish and Mexican" backgrounds.

baffle said...

I hear you, my friend.