Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!



AKA 'the Battle Hymn of the Republic'.

You ain't heard nothin' until you've heard this sung A capella by the Abyssinian Baptist Church Sanctuary Choir.
Talk about ROUSING.

For the last two days, I've been listening to their rendition on Ken Burn's 'The Civil War' soundtrack.
On RPT, of course.

A fond memory I have from junior high was singing in the school chorus. Because my voice has never been particularly tuneful, I can only hope that my enthusiasm in participating made up a bit for whatever I lacked in musicality or tone.

No matter.
Chorus was all about group dynamics and feeble attempts by disparate teenage voices to achieve some level of believable harmony. Chorus was also about standing on those cool risers.

Music instructor Mrs. Dobrinen (bless her sweet n' sincere heart) did her best to whip us wannabe singers into some musical shape. She taught us many songs - including several stanzas of 'Battle Hymn', which we ended up singing to student body/staff at a school assembly. Due in large part to our teacher's upbeat, encouraging attitude - our little school chorus always managed to pull it off. We sounded pretty damn gooooood.
At least, we thought so.

Since those humble and awkward musical vocalizations, I've always loved to sing and have an affection for Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! as well as numerous other catchy tunes learned in chorus class...

'What a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in - why it's - almost like being in love.
There's a smile on my face for the whole human race, why it's- almost like being in love.
All the music of life seems to be - like a bell that is ringing - for me'.

Hearing Glory! Glory! sung so flawlessly by the Abyssinian Baptist choir is absolutely uplifting. Isn't it lovely how music can do that?
By the time the choir arrives at my favourite line - '....be jubilant, my feet' I'm belting it out (at full volume) alongside the Baptist choir.
(as a 12 year old, I was fascinated by the rather unorthodox combination of the words jubilant and feet. I also very much liked 'They have buil-ded' Him an altar..')

Warning: stay out of earshot.
(Or)
Better yet, sing along.
C'mon - let's make a joyful noise. I won't mind you if you don't mind me.

No comments: