Friday, October 12, 2007

If in doubt...



...toss it out.

My mantra for today as I clean, reorganize, purge (OMG the endless purge) stuff in the 'laundry area'.

Besides the odd n' end house cleaning products, assorted yucky plastic cups to measure this and that, suspiciously old and useless fabric softeners, etc.....
I came across my 'collection' of candles.

Keep in mind that my mood is not the cheeriest today* as I ask the musical question:

What for - all these miscellaneous votives /candles?
Why keep so many when I only ever so infrequently burn the occasional candle?
At this writing, the large number of votives & candles I have (most as gifts from other people) seem superfluous to my life.
Today they are actually pissing me off.
(*I just paid bills, so am in a pissy mood anyway).

So - candles and votives.
If in doubt. toss it out.
The stinky candles.
The partially-burnt candles.
The faded candles.
The OOOG-LY candles.
The OOOG-LY-ER votives.

Burn 'em or toss 'em or give 'em away.
Simplify.
K.I.S.S.

Goodbye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, get rid of candles...
one way is to use them as fire starters?
(just a bit does the trick...you don't want a chimney fire!)

Scrub them like crayons on notepaper for a lovely scent?

If you live on a fast road where too many people drink too much at the beach before heading home and crashing into telephone poles, you could save a few for power outages.

Just tell me one thing, how can you toss the baptismal candles and those carefully made by little children??!

baffle said...

Keep the ones made by the kids.
I like your idea of using some for art projects.
Save a few for those power outages, yes.
Save a few more for 'mood' candle-burning in the house on a cozy evening.
Save a few for a 'ode to color vignette' (I actually have a display of candles 'just for looks'.

Toss the rest.