Friday, August 15, 2008

Old School


When I was a kid, the start of the school year always, but always, coincided with Labor Day. The first day of school was the day after Labor Day Weekend.

Back-to-School month = September.
We're talking tradition here.

Not that I have to, but I simply can't get used to this beginning to mid-August start of the new school year thing. It just don't seem right to me.

This morning, I saw kids all dressed in their new school clothes - complete with brand new backpacks - as they waited on the corner for the school bus.
I sez to myself, I sez 'Whaaaaat?!? It's still the middle of SUMMER!'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, this is scary. This morning here at my job, I was talking to Henry. His adorable little son, Christopher, is starting his first year in school this week. Upon hearing this, I launched into a whole "how can school start in August, ain't it suppose to begin right after Labor Day" diatribe (wow, big word for me). Then, I read the blog and see that you've said the same thing NEARLY WORD FOR WORD! Egad! Maybe it's cause we share the same birthdate.

baffle said...

We ARE very much alike!
For 'Diatribe' be my middle name.

(Along with curmudgeon, cheung-hay, and bi-atch!)

We certainly are in agreement that a new school year that starts in August - there oughta be a law against it!

Conn said...

here in hawaii it starts in july... it could be worse.

kids here have just about 2 months off in summer... but several week long breaks throughout the year.