Tuesday, December 09, 2008

KISS



Keep(ing) It Simple(r), Stupid.

Simple quiet pleasures at holiday time
... then and now.
..
1. Then: Being mesmerized by Bubble lights on the Christmas tree.

2. Then and Now: Staring (as a kid, I could do this for what seemed like hours on end) at one's distorted reflection in a round glass Christmas tree ornament.

3. Now: Reflecting on Christmas past. Missing those who were there who are no longer here. Being sad for their absence yet happy to have shared the time with them. This helps with keeping the proper perspective.

4. Then: Christmas in our home was not focused on receiving oodles of presents. Santa didn't come down our tiny gas faux fireplace. (We went to see him downtown San Francisco at The Emporium). Because Santa didn't make house calls, we didn't hang Christmas stockings. My family did decorate a tree, sing Christmas carols, drive around to see decorated houses and visit with relatives / friends. There were just a few smallish gifts to open on the 25th, and they were very special. One year, my favourite present was a plastic mesh basket which contained days of the week panties. You better believe I wore the right panty on the right day. Another year, it was (the original) Barbie (in black and white striped swimsuit = WhooooHooo!).

Otherwise, playing with the shiny tinsel on the tree kept me pretty happy.

5. Then and Now: Every year, there is joy to be found in holiday displays, clear, cold crisp nights, sparkly twinkle lights and the scent of freshly cut pine.

You know what?
I'm not feeling so Bah! Humbug! this year. Go figure.
Here's why.

The increased commercial hyperbole of a Consumer-Driven Christmas has me moving towards adopting non-participatory status. Post T-Day, I'm ready to take (real, not virtual) flight to evade the pressure to get into the holiday groove.

This year I finally reached a breaking point and am streamlining to the best of my ability. Embracing the slower, quieter (yet still sparkly) moments surrounding the December holiday. Sharing quality time instead of getting caught up in equating holiday connectedness with the overkill of abundant, superfluous gift-giving. No longer a rabid shopaholic, I now suck at over-gifting anyway, so earn a 'D' if not an 'F' at the frenzied consumerism encouraged at this time of year. I release myself from even trying.

I'm reminded of those simple pleasures. I want and need to get back to 'em.
Zero'd in. Focused.
Simplicity may well be my holiday salvation.

Truly - more is not better. Less really is more.

As Leonardo Da Vinci put it so eloquently:
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"


4 comments:

House Dreams said...

Yes, keeping it simple.
Our Christmas tree is little.
Our celebration is going to be little.
It's a nice life with simplicity.
I think I'll go knit a rectangle!

baffle said...

Amen to that, my roomiesisterfriend!

Liz said...

Sorry I missed this one. Boy, do I remember Santa down at the old big "E". I even have a picture of the when I took the boys there when they were real little. That was kind of neat being able to take your kids there.

We used to tour around the ritzy part of town (St. Francis Woods) and look at the Christmas Decorations. I'll never forget the year we had the Silver tree with the color globe. Thank goodness it only had 1 Christmas Shelf life. My Mom was a biggie on getting the tree tip with the fake snow. The more snow on the tree and the tips the better and we never put our tree up until Christmas Eve or the day before Christmas Eve. We would go out afterwards and lala the presents were all there.

Oh by my god, you also had the day of the week panties. You are right, you made sure you had the right day on, haha.

My best present as a kid well, I was about 14, was when I got the portable hi-fi stereo (hey that was the modern stuff back then). It would flip down and then you played it. Speakers, not like today but it still sounded good to me. Played my 1st Beatle ablum Rubber Soul on it and then the all of the 45's with the little plastic thingie in the middle of the record. Now it is downloads, Itunes and all.....

As you and I have talked, this year was defintely a lot more saner and simpler. After all of my family excitment, which was the best gift to get this year, just spending the time with the family was great for me.

baffle said...

Liz - thanks for the great and chatty comment. Lots of memories of childhood Christmases past. I was about the same age as you when I got my first 'hi-fi stereo', Dad had to put it on lay-a-way (at Sears?). I still have the receipt from that purchase somewhere around here. It serves as a reminder that my parents wanted me to have something I longed for, even if it meant making payments when they could least afford to do so.