Monday, January 07, 2008

high time for hi time to say a few words about a happy new year



Whaaaaa hoppen?
For me, 2007 spilled into 2008 rather seamlessly.

Hectic weeks in December flowed without any notable demarkation into the first days of January. Many a delightful minute/hour swirled and whirled with other, not-so-pleasant times. The current mixture of events and emotions is dictating my daily action (or inaction).

Keeping hella-busy with planned and not planned activities.
Who doesn't have people to see, places to go, things to do?
We seem to pride ourselves on being so all-consumed and occupied, don't we?
'I've been soooooo busy' is our byline.

There are those whose daily schedules aren't nearly so full: the aged, the infirm, the lonely...
When I'm about to sound the horn on my 'life being much too busy' I stop to consider those who would take on more, if only they could.
'Life is dynamic, not static' a wise neighbour once remarked.
If we are so lucky.
At this time, I breath in, I breath out - and life is full.

Rest is good too.
The yin and the yang of being in action, then stepping away.

This morning I am allowing myself the first real (rested, fed n' burped, not in a hurry, relaxed) opportunity of 2008 - to sit back, say 'Hi' and wax not so poetically on the theme of a Happy New Year.

Hello to 2008.
To me, the traditional Happy New Year greeting is not an altogether realistic, attainable or even desirable goal.

We're all aware there will be happy times during the year - for there is such joy and much affirmation to be had for us living on this earth with all its wondrous beauty. In the next months, we will find ourselves steeped in the cozy warmth of quality hours spent with those we love. How fortunate if they should be generous enough to offer us love in return. There will be learning, growing, helping, interaction with others whilst exercising kindness and honesty....and there will be the mental, physical and emotional highs that accompany those things.

We also know there will be plenty of miserable moments - as we lose things that are precious to us...when people behave badly...when we overextend ourselves. We will invariably go out of our minds with worry over big and little things. There will be lying, cheating, getting ripped off, greed, being deceived, deceiving. We will disgust and we will be disgusted.

Why set ourselves up for a Happy New Year, only to fall short?
OK, so I'm taking it literally. But when has an entire year, 365/24/7 ever really found any of us in a state of constant happiness? A pretty unrealistic goal. Not one to top the new year resolution list, that's for certain.

Why not try instead for a sense of BALANCE?
A reasonable mix of calm with chaotic.

Allow me then, to greet you at the start of 2008 thusly:
I Wish For You Many Happy Times in the New Year.
May you find BALANCE.

A mouthful, but I do mean it most sincerely.

Let's focus on numerous moments of happiness.
They feel nice....and they do add up.

3 comments:

Conn said...

Hear Hear!
I Wish For You Many Happy Times in the New Year.
May you find BALANCE.
Well put.

Lauren said...

Agreed! Getting life into balance is certainly our new year's resolution. Thanks for your inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

It's simple.
Get to work on time, not 15 minutes late every day.

So far, so bad.
My resolution is to never give up.
I'm aiming high!
To 8:00 and BEEEEEEYYYYOOOOOOOOND!