Monday, April 21, 2008

Quote of the day...


'I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.'
- Gilda Radner -

HaHa.
I heard this quote a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself 'Oh yeah, that would be ME'.

Everyone knows of those infamous itchy labels attached to necklines. Some sensitive clothing manufacturers have taken to printing garment info directly onto the fabric at the nape of garments. Most considerate, and
takes care of a major comfort-in-clothes problem.

If only it were that simple.

For me, clothing issues extend waaaaaay beyond the 'minor' irritation of an itchy tag tickling the back of the neck.

In considering my wardrobe, it seems that clothing choices I've made over the years consists of things that just don't 'feel right'.
Itchy this, too tight that, too loose here, not fitted enough there. Slipping, sliding, pinching, twisted fabric. I confess to not having chosen well.

I do adore soft fabrics and generally go for fine silks, drapey weaves, touchable pima cotton and cashmere. I like the look, but can't stand the feel of, stiffly woven cotton. Consequently, few items made from firm weaves/heavily sized fabric make their way into my wardrobe. If they do, I rarely, if ever - wear them. Too crispy.

Each time I pull a fitted long sleeve, high neck garment over my head and onto ye olde bod, I utter a rather loud and sustained ARRRRRRRGGH. Once the item is on, I'm OK with the feel of it - for awhile. Until I start to feel the fabric chafing my skin...
BTW, I HATE wearing turtlenecks.

I don't often dress in layers because I can actually sense the shift of each layer of clothing upon the other.

Fitted waistlines on skirts and pantyhose invariably pinch my mid-section.

The crotch on fitted jeans drives me bonkers (which is why I prefer baggy 501's).

Clothes that ride up, shift and/or wrinkle easily are cause for daily fashion upset.

Don't even get me started on ill-fitting bras and panties.

In addition to clothing issues, it seems I'm overly affected by a host of natural elements: heat, cold, brightness of the sun, wind, humidity. Too much or too little and I grow uncomfortable and/or my mood changes (to - can you believe - worse) and I begin to obsess on the offending element.

If that isn't bad enough, there can be problems for me with temperature controlled environments as well: A/C that has been cranked up too high, when there is not enough air circulation in a car...harsh or unflattering artificial light....distracting noises....the deafening decibel of extreme restaurant din....

Inspired by Gilda Radner's cute quote, I only meant to click 'round the net for some 'fun n' lite' info on how folks deal with itchy clothing. Instead, I happened upon studies for Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD!), aka 'sensory issues'.

Gosh.
The things one can discover about oneself whilst composing a simple blog post. It really does give me pause.

Yet another syndrome.
Not fun or lite, this SPD stuff is serious.
At the very least, it is itchy.

'Oh yeah, that would be ME'.

[G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T...]

3 comments:

House Dreams said...

Runs in our family.
I remember a little girl crying out, "I can feel the seams on my socks!!" in great anxiety.

I can't stand tight pants,
or itchy tags.

Good job bringing this out of the closet!

Those related by marriage don't seem to have the same problems...hmmm...were we born to it?

Conn said...

I Concur!!!!
For me I have "HOUSE SOCKS" and when one gets a tiny hole in the bottom. IT'S ALL OVER. I can feel it! Like there is a tiny something stuck to the bottom of my sock. I keep trying to brush it off. It won't go away. How many times must I brush it off before I realize it is a hole? Drives me bonkers.

Anonymous said...

Well, T doesn't care what he wears.

I think he doesn't see stuff like clothes. He just puts them on.
I've tried to teach him:
NO SOCKS WITH HOLES ALLOWED!

He says, truly baffled, "Why?"
Yep the in-laws don't get it.