Sunday, July 20, 2008

California's Gold


Last week, Huell Howser took me where few have gone before:
to the top of the TransAmerica Pyramid - right up next to the lightning rod!

OK - so it was on his TV show, 'California's Gold' - but - nonetheless, t'was a thrill.

I've learned a bit (from Huell) about California over past years of watching his show.
F'rinstance - about The Old Plank Road and The La Brea Tar Pits. Granted, the Plank Road and Tar Pits are remotely (the former) or oddly (the latter) located; and are considerably less romantic than the view from the tippy top of the Pyramid, but there I be - right along with Huell - and very excitedly so.

Huell Howser has been here, there and everywhere in the 38th state- looking for California history, geography, geology, folk lore, good eats and entertainment. In my humble, tagging along on Howser adventures via his shows is TV time: well-spent.

Why is that?

First of all, there's his on screen persona: Huell Howser is a big, rugged 'growed man' - looking more like a ski instructor or football coach than one who goes exploring the nooks and crannies of California's byways for his jollies.

Originally from Tennessee, he delivers his exclamations with a southern twang.

On very sunny days, Howser removes his everpresent sporty wraparound sunglasses to reveal a 'raccoon eyes tan'. What a dork! You've just got to chuckle.

What I like best is the way Huell Howser displays the curiosity of an enthusiastic 5 year old - delighting in even the simplest discoveries to be found in a world much bigger than himself. And yes, there is something oddly charming (at least to me) about Huell's point-blank naivete style of questioning his hosts and fellow travelers, as well as his reactions to what he experiences.

Huell Howser's joie de vivre about All Things California is just so ~ well ~ gosh-darned ~~~ infectious. He shouts, he laughs, he jumps for joy. He interacts playfully with his guides and with passersby at the sites he explores.

What's more, he appears to genuinely enjoy what he does.

Some viewers can't stand Huell Howser's dweebie style.
Me? I LUV it!

Watch:
Huell on the Golden Gate Bridge.
Huell Whale Watching.

P.S. Another Howser Production worth checking out:
California's Green

3 comments:

House Dreams said...

ACTS like a 5 year old!
I thought he WAS a five year old, a big one!
Gosh, darn, that guy's excitable!

I have seen some amazing things on his shows, but his joie de vivre is like nails on the chalkboard...I just can't stand it.

Is that cuz I work w. kids? I bet he's awesome on mute!

Liz said...

While I enjoy the places and stuff that is on the show, I just have a hard time with ole Huel's voice. Drives me nuts. Most times, put the audio on mute and read the info.......

baffle said...

Yes, for many, it's a challenge to get past his accent/ voice/ jumpin' up n' down commentary - but tell me - what's NOT to love about Huell saying: 'California's GAO-OLD'?

(heehee)