Tuesday, October 28, 2008

'the interstate'


It's been on my back burner for awhile ~ that drivers outside of California tend to refer to state highways (i.e.: I-80) as 'the interstate', which of course, they are - 'I' for interstate. Yet - here in California, we usually say 'Just get on 80' (or other highway number designation). You don't often hear drivers call '80' or '5' using the (to my ears) more formal 'the interstate'.
Or do we actually say 'Get on the interstate' and I'm just not paying attention (surprise surprise).

Some time ago, I traveled a lot in the eastern U.S., which was when I first noted judicious use of the term the interstate (as well as the turnpike, for that matter). [Check out the labyrinth of interstates on the eastern half of the map - wow - the interstate must have some real meaning there!]

The other week, an acquaintance (from Omaha Nebraska) and I were in a rental car, tootling around the environs of Las Vegas. Sans GPS, we turned corner after corner navigating back streets and main streets towards our (shopping) destinations. Though content to meander thusly, she did keep wondering aloud which way 'the interstate' was. Time and time again, she stated 'We need to get on the interstate', as if it were a lifeline (which, in many ways, it is).

The interstate.
The interstate.

Do Californians not utilize the word 'interstate' as much because most of our daily/ weekly driving is within the state? We drive the 'I' roads, but don't usually refer to them as the interstate(s). Do we have less need (or desire) to make frequent drives across state lines as often as those in other states might? From The Bay Area, it's a 4+ hour hop into Western Nevada, should you even wish to go there....but to Oregon or Arizona - for many Californians - is beyond the scope of an easy day's drive. Consider the length (less the breadth) of Calfornia's size and it becomes obvious that considerable effort / time is required to venture out of state....into and through other states... where the interstate would lead us.

Could it be that drivers from other states rely more heavily on access to 'the interstate' to get them the-hell-outta-Dodge on a regular basis? As in 'I'm going to jump right onto the interstate to get-the-hell-outta-Dodge today!' For those needing to escape Dodge on a regular basis, does the interstate hold more significance?

Do we in California not say the interstate quite as often because California is the proverbial end of the interstate line, therefore we don't go by car beyond the state (west being accessible only by boat or plane) and only on occasion venture back (eastward) or north or south to neighboring states?

Is this state actually more like an all-inclusive island, then? With no real need to obsess 'interstately'?
To be sure, some may view California thusly...

In any case, the phenomenon of the interstate is something to ponder... at least on a lazy Tuesday morning when I should be cleaning house, it is...

2 comments:

House Dreams said...

I don't know if they call it the Interstate in Rhode Island. All I know is that if you're in the boonies in North Scituate (read: Nawth Sitch- it)near Foster (read: Fos-tuh) on Old Hartford Pike (Hwy 101) you can head to Providence all you want...just hope that the circular directional signs don't send you "interstate" through Connecticut and Massachussetts...you'll get there eventually; but you may be 20 minutes late "pawk-in the caw in the Haw-vawd yawd."

Conn said...

Back home when I ask how to get to a family members new house I am always told:
Well get on the Interstate....
I know which one they mean... it's of course I-465. For this is the main Interstate that leads to the others... well that's what most people think... but you can get to I-65 and I-70 without getting on I-465 via side roads and such.

Then of course there are the roads that have number names as well name names... and what do you think they call them by? Yes the number names.

For example: If I were to go to my aunt's house... I would take the Airport Expressway to I-465 to Highway 36 then take that to State Road 267 to Rural Route 175.

Or in my speak it would be to skip the Expressway altogether and Take Kentucky Avenue (Highway 67) to 465 to Rockville Road (Highway 36) then turn onto Dan Jones Road (State Road 267) to Danville Road (Rural Route 175).
Are we there yet?