Tuesday, November 18, 2008

how much off?

Just about every Monday, I head out to lunch and a bit of errand-running-shopping with the DollinkGalPals. A convivial time is anticipated - almost promised - and yes - every Monday afternoon - is delivered - to all in the group.

Before deciding on which eatery for our lunch, the following ritual is oft observed: each of us pulls from our purses - % coupons. Clipped and filed away for an occasion such as this. 15% off the entire bill, 20% off one lunch, 2 meals-for-the price of 1, purchase 2 meals and the lesser priced one is free, etc.

I chuckle to myself as we rifle through our coupons, seeking the best deal for a meal. There's something downright endearing about the seriousness each of us takes in the commitment to save a dollar here or there. Precious bucks they are too, state of the economy and all.

Shopping follows lunch. Wandering through the local shops, we again pull out any %%% coupons that might be applicable to our purchases. 'Discount' certainly speaks volumes. Sharing in the saving of a buck or two or more is half (50%!) of the fun.

'Robbing Peter to pay Paul' is an appropriate idiom for %%% shopping. Whatever money is saved by robbing a store from bigger profit is earmarked for use towards payment of a bill or two waitin' there at home, isn't it?

Once upon a time, the practice of %%% coupon clippin' n' shoppin' was the domain of us decidedly middle-aged-domestic-diva types. However, it seems to be a new world out there as I've been witnessing an increase in %%% coupon shopping by shoppers-in-general.

What about you?
How often, if ever, do you shop using %%% coupons? If you're in the
%%% groove, then this is for you.

3 comments:

House Dreams said...

You are so smart and thrifty!
Me? I've given up coupons and here's why.
1. I can't remember to bring them to the store.
2. Even if they're kept in the car or even my purse, I can't remember they are there.
3. I don't buy the stuff the coupon deals offer.
4. I forget to look in the ads...I hate ads...I hate looking through ads.
5. They expire before I remember I have them.
6. I just never, never, ever remember to bring the coupons.
7. Grocery shopping is a stressful/not fun/horrible activity for me, I just want in and out and no thinking please.
8. All this frustration drives me crazy...so...no coupons for me!

Liz said...

yep, I find myself scanning thru the weekly paper now for coupons and the mailer. but, I as well forget those darn things once I am out. Soooo, I need to start carrying some of them. Although some food coupons are for places you don't always want to have. There are just so many times you want to have taco's, burritos and sandwiches.

Now, have you seen the good deal for Turkey's at Save-Mart. The best deal is the large Turkey from 16 lbs is about $10.00. Or you could spend $99 at Safeway and/or Raley's and get 1 free. Can't remember which one.

Conn said...

Oh... am I a clipper? YES!
We have a small notebook we make our shopping list in that goes with us everywhere. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIST!

We have all of our coupons and discount cards clipped on the inside front cover.
We always use them.
love pinching those pennies.. I do I do I do.