Thursday, January 22, 2009

wednesday go to meetin'



Those of you who know me -
may or may not be surprised to hear that I went to church yesterday.

Via C-Span.
From the warmth of my bed and still attired in my PJs, I attended the National Prayer Service at the Washington Cathedral.
With President Obama and Mrs. Obama.

It was a wonderful service: Diversity. Music. Prayer. Diversity (ooh, I already stated that - isn't it terrific to note the emphasis on diversity, though?!?).

I was particularly taken with the sermon given by Reverend Dr. Sharon E. Watkins.
[the first woman to deliver the sermon at an Inaugural Service].

So taken by the sermon am I - that here is a link to the text for your perusal.

The text is beautifully written and was delivered with much aplomb by Rev. Dr. Watkins. Evident therein is intense power and sweet grace. There's even a moment or two of raise-the-corners-of-your-mouth-humour. Humour + spirituality = why not?

Moreover, the words of the sermon seem to clearly reflect the philosophy of our new Mr. President. It really does seem to be the mindset by which he hopes to lead this country.

I say. You say. We all say.
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Link here for a video of the entire service (dang, Windows only).
Fast forward to approx. 38:40 for the sermon.

No comments: