Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Make mine Hamburger Helper


Ten years ago, during a transition period in our home/housing situation, DollinkDaughterJrS and I moved into an apartment together:
Our place was on the second story of a two story apartment complex. It had two nice-sized bedrooms (her bedroom had TWO closets). Two full bathrooms. We had an entry way, a kitchen, dining room, living room.
There were two (?) big hallway closets, a linen closet. Almost more storage space than the house I live in at the present time...

Right off the living room via a slider door was a balcony-lanai. There was a big tree deciduous tree right outside for privacy and a bit of nature-always-on-view.
Carport.

The apartment complex had a large, attractive community room (free video rentals!), exercise room, handball room, two swimming pools and a spa. Lots of biking and walking areas. Well manicured green grass. Trees. Flowers.

Nearby shops, restaurants, grocery stores, banks, et cetera.

We lived there for a year.

During that time - we got into the ease-evils-aesthetics (?) of Hamburger Helper.
Ooooh - the varieties! Our local market always ran specials on the stuff, so we could
stock up.
So - we ate a lot of it.

Hamburger Helper became my Kraft Mac N' Cheese of choice.

Sure, it's full of sodium and weird non-food chemical thingys added for flavor, color
and texture. But - it's quick to prepare. A hot meal in minutes. It looks like food. Tastes like food.

Yeah - I loves me some Hamburger Helper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man!
I am sooooooo impressed.
As you know, I do not rip ANYTHING out.

...although, I did rip out a couple of rows of this thingie I'm making...
I guess you're a bad influence on me.
love you