Wednesday, September 17, 2008

That guy O' Toole

Peter O' Toole.
Not just another pretty (well, I think so) face - or distinctive voice.

(I'm a big fan of voices that others may find a tad weak - those with a rattle, slight 'thinness' or even 'sandy'. The topic of voices could be another blog post unto itself, actually.....
O'Toole's voice is particularly captivating because it alternates between strong and fluttery).


In his acting and personal life, he's been up and he's been down. Many have, of course - trial and tribulation being par for the course of life.

Watched Peter O' Toole on TV today ~ in a 1991 flick: 'King Ralph' - with John Goodman in the title role.

At first, the finely-honed O' Toole and the ever-haphazard Goodman seem the ultimate mismatched onscreen pairing. Yet, both actors succeed at overcoming the incongruity of their odd coupling and manage to convey a convincing connection between their characters. Good on ya, boys.
All told, 'King Ralph' is a bit of a fun romp, lite fare, satisfying.

So -
back to Peter O' Toole. I sez to myself, I sez ... this guy deserves a HUZZAH or two or more. I mean, he is truly fine.

For me, Peter O' Toole was perfection in 'Lawrence of Arabia'. The 3+ hours of this mega epic is always quite an effort to view (no ladies, and all that sand!). But it's worth the effort, for O' Toole's acting can mesmerize. I get to scrutinizing even the smallest of his onscreen actions and hanging on his every word...

Likewise, as Reginald Johnston in 'The Last Emperor', Peter O' Toole demonstrates how riveting his delivery of even the simplest of scripted dialog can be.

Of O' Toole's (often very) memorable lines, my Mom even adored his kitschy 'I want all you cats to shape up!!!', an exhortation which he wallops with great aplomb in 'What's New Pussycat?', replete in crazy costume and wielding a whip.
(sorry - I could not find an accompanying YouTube video).
'Pussycat' is, admittedly - not one of his classier roles, but what the hey, it's O'Toole. He pulls it off.

Mom also enjoyed him as Chipping in 'Goodbye Mr. Chips' - yes, even with the singing.

HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!!
HUZZAH!!!

2 comments:

House Dreams said...

B. from Joelle:
I viewed it on a huge screen (Panavision?)w. my dad...Can you believe that!! I went out with my dad! He loved the artistry and the history; me too, but Peter O'Toole was the highlight...those eyes, as endless blue as the desert sky! My what a crush I had

I didn't understand the story, but the cinematography was mesmerizing, and that's all I seemed to need.

And to think of it, me with my dad.

baffle said...

It warms my heart that this post could bring back for you ~ a fond memory of time spent with your dad...