Thursday, September 25, 2008

to rip or not to rip

Just look at that pretty section of knitted lace.
Now look closer. Towards the top.
See it?
A mistake.
The pattern 'shifted'.
See the shift? You can tell by the vertical lines between the leafy shapes. Those
lines are supposed to stay constant - straight - consistently parallel - not move over a few stitches at the whim of the knitter.

Arrrgh.

Mistakes in knitting. One is faced with a decision: to rip out and start anew from where the mistake happened, or let it go and knit on?

With the more complicated knitting projects I've been taking on, my goal is to re-do my mistakes, rather than casually knit past them as I've always done in the past.
Furthermore, to make an adjustment from the original design could cause problems with future rows as the pattern repeats itself.

So - I did the right thing.
I ripped it out.

Lace has to be undone a stitch at a time, rather than
with a quick pull to rip back all the bad rows.
Labor intensive, this lace stuff.

Then -
I made the same mistake again.
Egads!
How can?!?
I ripped it out a second time.

Many hours (and heavy sighs of frustration) later, the mistake has been corrected (it was a stupid mistake made over a dozen rows down) and recorrected. The knitting is back on track again.

It's been said that making mistakes when knitting, then correcting them - helps one to better understand the art and craft of taking needles to yarn to create beautiful fabric.

I certainly have become a master student - learning more than I ever bargained for regarding knitting lace in general. Getting into some serious one-on-one time with understanding stitch construction is surely beneficial fodder for ye olde brain cells.

It exhausts and delights me.

The finished item will be a shawl/stole.
5' in length.
At this writing, it's not even 18" long.

Aicheemama.

P.S. Lace knitting: something of a challenge, yet very rewarding.
One has to be mindful, lest the design 'shift'.
Hmmmmmm.

3 comments:

House Dreams said...

Good heavens! What a fancy detangling of lacy yarn!

Patience personified.

Anonymous said...

RE: your knitting comment on (oops!) Hamburger Helper post: Whaaat? You ripped back? Oh no! I'm NOT a good influence - because I adore your freeform knit n' crochet. Would NOT want to force ordered knitting on such artwork!

RE: this comment: yes, I am Master Untangler these days. Tonight I ripped back many rows of overknitting: on size 1 needles and using sock weight yarn. OMG - my eyes! my eyes!

xo

House Dreams said...

Sorry about the Hamburger Helper comment on ripping out knitting.

Re: OMG - my eyes!

Yesterday I microwaved a beef Hotpocket. I was shocked to see smoke (BLACK smoke) pouring out of the machine.

Turns out the 8 minutes "I read" (WITH glasses!) on the package really was the "and" sign(&).

3 minutes AND 2 minutes to cool down not 8 minutes, dummy, don't EVER microwave something for 8 minutes.

I realized I had to wear my glasses full time after I voted for the wrong president and had to ask for a new ballot and squint even harder!

I think it's time for a new eye test.