Monday, August 27, 2007

Rock Bottom


I'm hitting rock bottom with this post - which is about the most taboo of all blog topics: 'What I ate for breakfast'.
All authors of personal blogs know that there is no one, absolutely no one who is interested in, or will be remotely enlightened by - what you ate for breakfast.
(though we must understand that for all intent and purposes, b's blog is ultimately a journal written for me myself and nobody else...
yeah, right).

Yet here it is.
Call it an initiation. Rite-of-passage. Moment of morning madness.
Writing about what I had for breakfast was bound to happen sooner or later in my blogging, so why not with this morning's repast?

Let's get it over with, then.

Today's breakfast deviated from my norm:
a serving of 'old-fashioned' rolled oats (steel cut takes waaaaay too long to cook, and I can never remember the soaking overnight bit). I microwave one serving with the appropriate amount of water for 5 minutes on 8Power, add a spoonful of Splenda, mix in generous (some might say a whopping) handful of dried cranberries followed by a splash of Lactaid.
That final addition of milk renders the otherwise thick wallpaper paste consistency of cooked oatmeal palatable.

To my dismay, there was nary a drop of Lactaid to be had in the house. I discovered in the kitchen trash evidence of the empty milk carton where HD had deposited it a few hours before after completing his breakfast ritual (cold cereal and milk).

However, there was (this I haven't purchased in decades, literally - decades) a container of chocolate milk*.
Regarding my oatmeal dilemma, I sez to myself, I sez ~ Why the hell not?
To my bowl of cooked oats, I added a goodly amount of choc milk. Mixed it up. Tossed a wee pat of butter on top for good luck.

I et of it, but ain't doin' that one a'gin.
Review of breakfast improvisation #1 = Too sweet, too brown and something about that hint of chocolate was just not right.

As a kid, I remember eating Cocoa Puffs and feeling the same way...
Concept good, actual taste = kinda yucky.

* Why chocolate milk? DollinkDaughterJrS visited the other day. She had a hankering for chocolate milk , which brought up my occasional hankering for it and a quick stop at the mart was in order.

P.S. Damn. The chocolate milk wasn't as delicious as how my taste buds remembered either.
Funny how that happens, isn't it?

5 comments:

jessierose said...

Gross.

Anonymous said...

peanut butter on oatmeal!
yick.

baffle said...

A dab of peanut butter into a bowl of
hot Cream of Wheat is delicious, though.

Conn said...

chocolate milk on oatmeal?
ick.
now hold on just a minute miss. i havd=e blog some of my breakfasts. and i think your post is ok... it's more like ann experimention type of post and not just and bland...
today i had otmeal, toast with 1 pat of butter, coffee with 2 sugars , no cream...etc. now that's rock bottom.
i enjoyed it.

baffle said...

Aha Conn - so you caught the tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek tone, did ya?

For your break the fast enjoyment, here's a blog devoted to the topic:
http://thebreakfastblog.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!
P.S. The more I think on it, the more grossed out I get about the choc milk on oatmeal. To be sure, that dish won't be offered on the menu of my Fantasy Food Café.