Tuesday, July 17, 2007

wabi sabi


Wabi Sabi be my middle name!

From what little I've read about it thus far (this morning online), wabi sabi is not at all like cattywompus (which I also like / live by), save for the acknowledgement of imperfection.

Wabi sabi seems to promote an appreciation for all-things-less-than-perfect. This extends beyond aesthetics to relationships as well.

I like this concept very much.
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Must look into it more. I've just added this book to my Amazon.com wishlist.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I like this idea too! Somewhat similar to the concept of "happy accidents". Let me know what else you discover in your wabi sabi research!

Conn said...

Sounds very now... just where I am and how I want to be. Whatever will be will be.
I liked this reference from one of your links...

Wabi-sabi is exactly about the delicate balance between the pleasure we get from things and the pleasure we get from freedom from things.
Mud, paper and bamboo have more intrinsic wabi-sabi qualities than do gold, silver and diamonds.
I am cuckoo for wabi sabi!

Anonymous said...

Does it count if your simplicity includes chaos?

baffle said...

I should think that simplicity is chaos redefined.

Yes, let's all give it a go, shall we?