Tuesday, September 19, 2006

ATCs


I can't decide whether or not to get into making and trading ATCs.

I've known people who have done (are still doing?) mail art, and this seems to be an extension of that art form.
The idea of trading art with a standard format (ATCs are supposed to be 2.5" x 3.5" in size and I can see keeping them all nice and neat and accessible to take out and admire in a terrific looking artsy crafty box!) has great collectible appeal.

It would be fun making small art pieces - the size isn't intimidating ....and from what I understand, any medium is considered OK. I especially like the mixed media ones.

The making of and the collecting of ATCs seems like it would be so much fun. However, thinking about getting it out there to trade with complete strangers is a bit daunting right now - but first steps usually are...
Hmmmmmmmm.
Should I or shouldn't I?

Perhaps some of us could start our own ATC group and see 'where it grows' from there?

[The collage pictured is one I created in Photoshop with some scanned objects and photos I took with my little digital camera]
[It could be made into an ATC...]

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this idea! Who doesn't like receiving little gifts in the mail- especially if they are little handmade pieces of art? I think you should start collecting and sending some of your own!

Anonymous said...

me, too...I really like the idea of recieving fun cards...and making them and send them off.
In my final printmaking class the professor required each of us make 20 prints the same size so we could make books with one print from each student...
So now I have a book with artwork from all of those artists! I wonder who is famous by now?

Conn said...

LOVE IT!!!!!
I'M IN.... HOW DO WE START?
WE CAN PUT THEM ON THE CUTE COARK BOARDS I JUST SAW IN READYMADE MAGAZINE.

baffle said...

Yippee Skippee!
To all: Thank you for your very enthusiastic interest in forming an ATC group of our very own!

Conn ~ If/when you have time, will you assemble a list of others (even if there are only a few, hey - that's still a few to add to the artful mix!) who might be interested in this ATC thing, and get their snail mail as well as e-mail addresses and send all that info on to me?
I'll do the same on my end and then I will compile a complete list with ALL the names + postal addresses.

Then I will get this list out to everyone via their e-mail. I'll also send along the few parameters and a few helpful tips.
Does this make sense, or am I babbling due to the excitement?!?

Then we can begin making and trading ATCs.
I'm soooooooooo ready to start!

I still have your e-mail address, will write to you soon with mine.

Conn said...

I am on it.
I have 3 people so far.

baffle said...

I'm happy to announce the formation of 'Our Own Little ATC Group'.

We begin trading in October 2006.

I am SO EXCITED!
Thanks to all who expressed interest and have joined the artsy team.

Luv ya!

Anyone else?
There's room for a few more.